Saturday, October 4, 2008

Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco

CAMP FLAG AT
CAMP NO-BE-BO-SCO

North Bergen County Council, Inc.
Boy Scouts of America R.D. 2, Blairstown, N.J. 07825

August 8, 1980
Blairstown, New Jersey

Dear Mom and Dad, "Sorry I hav'nt been writing...I lost my notebook with my letters in it. I am having a good time." Love, John

This private camp borders Sand Lake in New Jersey and has provided entertainment to countless Boy Scouts over its history. It is also known to horror film fans as the setting of Camp Crystal Lake in the 1980 film, Friday the 13th. It was established in 1927 and is privately owned by the NNJC Boy Scouts of America. Prior to acquisiton by William Penn in 1715 the campsite can be traced back to the Native American occupation. Tragedy struck the camp on February 22, 1944, when a B-17F Flying Fortress crashed into the nearby Kittatinny Ridge in the midst of World War II, killing all 12 servicemen on board.

No comments: